WESTCOTT DISAPPROVES NIGHT LUNCH IN ADAMS

SAYS NEW GRILL WOULD TAKE TRADE FROM ELIOT LUNCH

In answer to a petition signed by 130 members of Adams requesting the establishment of a night lunch in that house, Roy L. Westcott, manager of the University dining halls, yesterday stated that he did not consider the project economically feasible.

"I feel that there would not be a sufficient volume of business to support the proposed cafeteria," he said. "Moreover, at this time there is no way we could subsidize the grill, and so continue to operate it at a loss. The rising cost of food would make me hesitate to authorize any additional expenditures for installation and equipment now, especially as I believe that the night lunch would be a financial failure."

Westcott went on to say that he would be more than glad to proceed with the installation of the cafeteria if he felt that there was an even chance of its being a success. Although the Eliot House grill is able to carry itself now, he believes that two such eating places would divide the present patronage of the Eliot lunch in such a way that both grills would fall.

"At Eliot House there exist certain conditions which allow us to operate the cafeteria at a cost considerably lower than would be possible at Adams House," said Westcott. He explained that at the present grill it was possible to use men otherwise employed in the Eliot dining halls, thus reducing labor costs.