EXPECT DISCOVERY IN CONANT LABORATORIES

Formulae of Chlorophyll A and B Are Expected To Be Announced Within Few Weeks

An important discovery on the chemical composition of chlorophyll is expected within a month in the chemical laboratories of President Conant in the Converse Memorial Building, it was learned yesterday. Despite the pressure of his official duties, President Conant has found time to keep up with the work being done in his laboratories by his chief assistant, Miss Emma M. Dietz. He frequently spends Saturday afternoons and holidays in the laboratory.

The forthcoming discovery is expected to give the final and complete formulae for chlorophyll A and chlorophyll B, two plant materials of extremely complex nature whose exact composition has never been accurately ascertained. At present the two leading theories as to its composition are those of Hans Fischer of Munich, and of President Conant. Mr. Conant's theory was advanced in 1932; and for his research he was awarded two medals, the William H. Nichols Medal and the Charles F. Chandler Medal.

President Conant is also a director of the Rockefeller Foundation's project on chlorophyll, on which work is being done at Harvard under the direction of George B. Kistiakowsky, associate professor of Chemistry.