KOHLER NAMED AS LECTURER IN FIRST TERM OF 1933-34

Authority on Behavior of Anthropoid Apes and Publisher of Treatises on Mentality of Monkeys

Wolfgang Kohler, professor of Philosophy and director of the Psychological Institute at the University of Berlin, has been appointed William James Lecturer in Philosophy and Psychology for the first half of the academic year, 1933-34.

Professor Kohler, who is regarded as the most prominent psychologist in the world today, was born in Reval, Esthonia, in January, 1887, and was educated in the Universities of Tubingen, Bonn, and Berlin. It was at Berlin that he received his Doctor's degree, and since then has become the leading exponent of the "Gestalt" school of psychology, which has gained rapid favor in recent years.

Most of his life has been devoted to the study of behavior in anthropoid apes. His most famous work, "The Mentality of Apes," is recognized as the authoritative document on the subject. He has published many other books in the same field, among them important investigations of the intelligence of chimpanzees, which have won world-wide renown. Professor Kohler has been in the United States several times on lecture tours and is the brother of Wilhelm R. W. Kohler, recently appointed full professor in Fine Arts. The two previous incumbents of the William James chair were Professor John Dewey of Columbia, and Professor Arthur O. Lovejoy, of Johns Hopkins.