Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Nemo Exhumed

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be with-held).

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Will you please allow this writer to offer a few rather tardy comments?

Tis said, theoretically at least, that mental deductions, like good cheese, ripen and become richer with age.

It is hoped, that the axiom in this instance may justly apply. These references have to do with your editorial of February thirteenth, in which, under the nom de plume Nemo, and with freedom of expression that is startlingly unique, you crack open the nut of smug, self-conceit, and expose the "Kernel" (Charles A. Lindbergh) in most commendable fashion.

In view of the fact that the subject of the article is an outstanding idol of the hero-worshippers, is proof beyond question that the author possesses that--which in the vernacular of the street would be termed--"Plenty guts."

Lindbergh to many, has been a flesh and blood incarnation of Solomon, Socrates, Caesar, Columbus, Napoleon, Livingston, Stanley, Washington, Lincoln, all rolled into one.

However, the particular citation in the editorial to which this writer objects, is your characterization of Lindbergh as "The International Boy Scout."

Why should that great organization suffer such unholy impingment? Being fairly well informed as to its precepts, I do not hesitate to place them before you as a comparable study. Into the Boy Scout's mind are inculcated the principles of respect to thers (I imagine that this would include the President of the United States) self-sacrifice; honesty; generosity.

In all these things would you presume to say that Lindbergh could qualify?

I have shown the editorial to several of the Alumni, also others less fortunate.

Some of the ultra-conservative raise their eye-brows in silent horror at the open frankness of the chastisement.

Others (free thinkers--not necessarily blind with bigotry) laud it with commendable vehemence.

If I may be pardoned for once, to lower the dignity of my vocals to those of Walter Winchell, then shall I say--"An armful of orchids" to Nemo. C. L. Holt, N. Y. C.