FRESHMEN HOLD YEAR'S FIRST PRACTICE GAME

FIRST INFIELD IN GOOD SHAPE, PITCHING POOR

In its first practice game of the season the first Freshman baseball team defeated the Seconds 9-0 in the Briggs Cage on Saturday afternoon. The Freshman number one infield was in fairly good shape, and outfielded and outhit the Seconds, though both outfits lacked the smoothness which a couple of weeks of outdoor practice should give them. Pitching was poor for both teams.

The first-string infield has Louis B. Carr '37 at first, Frank J. Owen '37 at second, Thomas H. Bilodeau, Jr. '37 at short stop, and Alan Darling '37 at third. All of these men stand an excellent chance of retaining their present berths for the remainder of the season.

There are eight possibilities for the pitching staff, and of these five were in action yesterday. These were John Mahoney '37, Proctor H. Avon '37, William S. Baxter '37, Arnold Bronstein '37 and William T. McGann '37. Two additional possibilities are Richard MacC. Walsh '37, who has not yet reported, and Royall Victory '37, who is out for polo. All the men who pitched yesterday could be criticized either for lack of smoothness or lack of control.

The two lineups, in the order of batting, were: FIRST FRESHMAN  SECONDS McTernan, cf  Freedland, lf Darling, 3b  Weeks, 2b Owen, 2b  Gannett, 1b Bilodeau, ss  Burbank, ss McIntosh, lf  Regan, 3b Waters, rf  Bellows, cf Carr, 1b  Gatto, rf Blackwood, c  Kesler, c J. Mahoney, p  Bronstein, p Avon, p  McGann, p   Baxter, p