SHAWMUT CLUB ROUTED BY SWORDSMEN, 12-5

Williams, Langenau, and Ackerman Are Outstanding Crimson Fencers in Final Contest

Showing power in the epee and sabre events the Varsity Fencing team decisively defeated the Shawmut Fencer's Club Saturday afternoon in the Indoor Athletic Building by the score of 12 to 5.

The foils matches were closely contested and ended with Harvard leading 5 to 4. Steele, the Shawmut star, defeated three Crimson men in well fought matches, and the visitors appeared to have a good chance to beat the strong Harvard team. However the clever dueling of Webster F. Williams '35 and Edward A. Langenan '35 in the epee matches, and the ability of Edward A. Ackerman '34 in the sabre event soon gave the Crimson a winning advantage.

The summary:

Foils: Robert C. Ackerman '35 defeated Doherty (S), 5-1; John G. Hurd '34 defeated Harris (S), 5-1 and Doherty (S), 5-1; Philip E. Lilienthal '36 defeated Doherty (S), 5-1; and Harris (S), 5-3; Harris (S) defeated Ackerman, 5-3; Steele (S) defeated Hurd, 5-4, Lilienthal, 5-4, and Ackerman, 5-4.

Epee: Steele (S) defeated Edward A. Langenau '35, 2-1; Webster F. Williams '35 defeated Harris (S), 2-1 and Steele (S), 2-0; Langenau defeated Harris (S), 2-0.

Sabre: Edward A. Ackerman '34 defeated Harris (S), 5-1 and Doherty (S), 5-1; Richard Morgan '36 defeated Harris (S), 5-4; Morton Grant '36 defeated Steele (S), 5-1.