STRIKE ONE

Settlement of the controversy between manufacturers and laborers in the automobile industry brings into bold relief two guiding principles for future industrial relations: it outlines a method for choosing the representatives through whom the NRA entitles labor to bargain collectively, and it demonstrates convincingly the logic of the conference rather than the strike method of procedure.

The National Recovery Act guaranteed labor the right of collective bargaining through representatives of its own choosing, but failed to indicate a method of selecting those representatives. In many plants representation was given through committees elected by company unions, while outside labor unions also claimed the membership of a majority of the men. The present settlement will determine which representatives are the real choice of the laborers through a free election, held if necessary under the supervision of the National Labor Board. Minority groups will be granted proportional representation on the bargaining committees. A board representing laborers, employers, and the government will be empowered to pass on all questions of representation, discharge, and discrimination.

Although the conference between capital and labor groups met with delays, postponement of the proposed automobile strike has resulted in employees receiving $4,000,000 in wages for days that would otherwise have been pay-less, and has also resulted in the production of 54,500 cars to meet unfilled orders.