CRIMSON TRYOUTS COMMENCE AFTER SPRING VACATION

Experience in Journalism, Contact With Celebrities, and Inside News To Be Gained From Competition

Initiating the spring competition for all four of the CRIMSON boards, a meeting will be held Tuesday evening, April 10, at 7.30 o'clock in the President's office. While only Sophomores may compete for the Editorial Board, positions on the News, Business, and Photographic Boards are open to Freshmen.

The training that a man receives as a candidate for the News Board not only brings him into closer contact with college activities, but gives him valuable training for positions which he may hold later in life. Primarily, the eight weeks competition shows a man how the college works. He makes contacts with officials of the University and obtains at first hand details of new projects which the College is inaugurating. He is taught how to cover news thoroughly, accurately, and interestingly. While during the early weeks of the competition he is gaining a groundwork in the routine side of the newspaper game, later on he is allowed ample score for his own news- getting proclivities.

Unusual Experiences

Aside from the possibilities of gathering "scoops" about the University, there is a large field of outside features. It was a CRIMSON candidate who first discovered that a German submarine was cruising off Massachusetts during the war. Another interviewed Al Smith in his showerbath. Any number of men, such as President Roosevelt, Bill Tilden, Victor Moore, Ogden Mills, Walter Lippmann, and Lewis Douglas; have been personally questioned by CRIMSON men.

Opportunity for Work

That the CRIMSON news competition is an easy one is a misconception. For eight weeks a man must devote most of his time to the paper. The chief compensation, aside from possible election to the Board, lies in the satisfaction a man gets from knowing he has personally tracked down a story, done a good job on it, an has seen it in print.

Tomorrow the competition for the Editorial Board, which has been considerably shortened and changed this spring, in order to make it more attractive to men of unusual ability, will be discussed. Friday the business and photographic competitions will be taken up.