NO. 1

The Harvard Automobile Co.

This business was founded in 1900 on Palmer Street. After two years there it moved to its present location in Quincy Square, opposite the Union, where the concrete garage was built in 1906. In these pioneer days Ramblers and Stanley Steamers were sold. In the main, however, they devoted themselves to storage and repairing of all makes of cars. Among their earliest Harvard customers were Professor Kennedy, Vincent Astor, Robert Goelet, the Cudahy Brothers, Morgan Belmont, Frederick Prince, the Iselens, and Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. In 1913, the Ford Motor Company, who up to this time had not built either the Cambridge or Somerville assembly plants, rented space for thirty-five cars, and made Mr. William E. Furniss an agent. The following year, the Ford Company decided that they would retail cars through dealers, and accordingly signed up the Harvard Automobile Co. as Authorized Distributors. For twenty years they have been exclusively official Ford sales and service representatives. Mr. William E. Furniss is still President of the Company, and actively engaged in the business, together with his son, Mr. Elwyn S. Furniss, who is General Manager and Treasurer.