COMPTROLLING FORCES

Hard upon the heels of the information that Arthur L. Endicott '94 had received a leave of absence as Comptroller of the University's finances comes the announcement of the retirement of Comptroller Endicott's great aide Edward S. Emery '87. For years the two have controlled the purse strings of University expenses with the eagle eye that typified New England economy, an economy which was largely responsible for keeping Harvard in the excellent running condition she is today.

But with the turn of the year came a new administration and a new deal to the financial cards that were held in Lehman Hall. Out of the shuffle came a new hand to be played, a hand of a different nature. One man was put into University Hall to control the financial end of affairs. It was the first tangible evidence of a change, evidence which was to be followed shortly by other signs. Nor were they long in coming, for before the smoke had cleared, came the news of Mr. Endicott's leave, a leave which could only be construed as a definite retirement from active office, precedent to the discontinuance of the position. There was no question of Mr. Endicott's ability or integrity, but few were unable to see through to the real reason for his leave. The break was a manifestation of the eternal struggle of the old versus the new, and further signs were not unexpected.

The present situation is merely one more angle. No one doubts of Mr. Emery's loyal and faithful service, no one doubts of his integrity, but the new and the old do not amalgamate with ease, and with the ascension to power of the one the other is bound to go, taking with it a respect and honor born of years of faithful service.