Uncle Sam's Longest Bar, 145 Feet in Length, To Be Exact, Boston's Latest Claim to Renown

Jack Sharkey, Former Fist Man, Owns Mammoth Dispensary On Canal Street

How many people know that the longest bar in the United States is right here at home in the sleepy old Hub in spite of the luxurious splashes to be found dotting Manhattan?

This glorious establishment that has gone unsung is located at 156 Canal Street, less than two blocks from the Boston Garden, and who is the proprietor but Squire Jack Sharkey, former heavyweight champ of the world and the pride of Chestnut Hill. The bar stretches to the unbelievable length of 145 feet, and in the smoky haze that pervades the place it is impossible to see from one end to the other.

And what has the squire got to say about his thing of beauty, "The Tavern," which opened its doors just six weeks ago? "It's not like the palmy days when I licked Schmeling, but now I get a steady income and in spite of the large overhead--seven bartenders going all the time--we'e done pretty well."

The well-filled bar testified to the popularity of Mr. Sharkey's Tavern. When asked what drink seemed to satisfy the taste of his patrons most regularly, he answered, "Well, I guess Ward 8 sells about as much as any other. Whiskey goes pretty well too, and most of the customers that come as far as Canal Street can take it straight. Of course, during the day, most of the boys have to go easy and we find that the usual standby is beer." Contrary to popular belief, the Sharkey Special punch is not named after this famous pugilist, "It was on the books long before my time," he explained.

Not a thing in this country can touch the Tavern's bar in the matter of length and the only serious rival outside is Crawford's 161-foot monster that attracted thousands along with the smell of stables to Tia Juaua, Mexico.