NEWS OVER THE RECESS

HAROLD MURDOCK DIES

Harold Murdock, head of the University Press and father of Professor Kenneth B. Murdock '16, Master of Leverett House died during the vacation. Russell S. Hepburn '35 committed suicide on the banks of the Charles on Saturday, March 31.

CHESS TROPHY

Sidney S. Coggin '34 won the Vane Trophy that goes to the Intercollegiate chess champion each year. Eric W. Marchand '36 placed third in the tournament.

HANFSTALENGEL REFUSES

"Hemphie" Hanfstaengel, loyal Hitlerite, refused the invitation of Dr. Elliott Carr Cutler '09 to be aide in the Commencement Exercises.

BASEBALL

Wet grounds necessitated the postponement of the Columbia and Pennsylvania baseball games last week. The games will be played off later in the season as double-headers at Cambridge.

LACROSSE

Harvard's lacrosse team was swamped by a strong Maryland ten 9-3 at College Park on Saturday. With Christhilf, their star outside home scoring three goals, the home team stepped out to a 7 to 0 lead in the first period.

RUGBY

A strong and experienced Cambridge University fifteen decisively defeated the Harvard Rugby Club at New York, 41 to 18, on Saturday. Don Meiklejohn was high scorer for the Harvard outfit.

FENCING

John G. Hurd '34 won the individual foils championship of the Intercollegiate Fencing Championship held at the Hotel Commodore in New York during the vacation. Webster F. Williams '35 and Edward A. Langenau '35 captured the epee team championship.