SCHOLARS AND TEACHERS

"There ought to be no separation of the faculty into those who teach and carry on creative work" -- this sentence, taken from President Conant's Report, may be said to contain the kernel of his philosophy of higher education. In the light of more recent developments, such as the letter sent to all members of the faculty requesting a statement of the time required for teaching and tutorial, it is apparent he intends in the near future to enable each instructor to spend more time in research.

President Conant believes the best teacher is the man in whom is combined the faculty of inspiring students, and the ability to make valuable contributions towards the advancement of learning. He does not expect to find many men who excel in both qualities, but he is determined that when both qualities are latent in an instructor, one will not be sacrificed to the other. Such a plan is admirable. It is hard to conceive of a finer faculty than one whose members are encouraged to make their two missions supplement each other.

In a University such as Harvard, where a comparatively large portion of the student body is frankly desirous of having as good a time as possible, it may be argued justifiably that the function of stimulating and inspiring students is more important than research. Certainly Harvard's greatest instructors are those who instill in the student a desire to research on his own part. There are all too many instructors who are fully versed in their fields, who are fully versed in their fields, who are capable of genuine contribution, and who present their knowledge in an orderly manner, without, however, making the student feel it would be worth his while to attempt to discover facts hitherto unearthed. All too often, the student is deterred by the instructor's negative approach. There is little inspiration in being told, or in sensing from the teacher's attitude, "Here are all the facts known to man; do what you can with them."

It has been said that nothing can be taught. This is but a half-truth, for unquestionably the ability to stimulate the novice is the mission of the teacher. Without that ability the instructor is but a pedagogue.