VARSITY GOLFERS WIN OVER HOLY CROSS, 5-4

Two Points Down, Team Comes From Behind to Win in Final Matches at Belmont Springs

With the outcome of the match depending upon the last two men and with Harvard two points behind, the Varsity Golf team came from behind yesterday to nose out Holy Cross in their first meet of the season 5 to 4 at the Belmont Springs Country Club. The score stood 4 to 2 as the first two foursomes completed their rounds and Holy Cross seemed to have the contest well in hand, but Guy S. Hayes '34 and Howard F. Gillette '35 each won their individual matches and carried off the fourball match to turn the tide to Harvard's favor.

The two outstanding matches of the day were those in which Captain Mel Heath lost to Doyle, the Holy Cross ace, and Gillette edged Hartigan, both matches going to the eighteenth hole before they were decided.

Today the team will face Dartmouth in its second match. The Green golfers will be hard to beat with Birch, Ogg, and Ryder playing the first three positions, but Coach Clark Hodder thinks Harvard will show some improvement over yesterday's showing. The only change in the lineup will be Francis S. North '36 in place of Mansfield Branigan '36.

The summary:

Score--Harvard 5, Holy Cross 4; Two-somes: Doyle (HC) defeated Melville F. Heath, Jr. '34, 1 up; William E. Sibley, III, '35 defeated Shea (HC), 3 and 2; Reidy (HC) defeated Robert C. Hunter, Jr. '36, 1 up; Bonnelli (HC) defeated Mansfield Branigan '36, 6 and 4; Guy S. Hayes '34 defeated Ryan (HC), 9 and 7; Howard F. Gillette '35 defeated Hartigan (HC), 1 up.

Foursomes: Heath and Sibley defeated Doyle and Shea, 3 and 2; Reidy and Bonnelli defeated Hunter and Branigan, 4 and 2; Hayes and Gillette defeated Ryan and Hartigan, 3 and 2.