AT THE CROSSROADS

Much criticism, pro and con, has been directed lately at the administration by members of both parties, one side charging it with radicalism and the other defending its moderation. Members of the Brain Trust and others closely allied with them have taken every opportunity to assure the public that moderation will characterize the government's activities in the future.

The time has definitely arrived when the administration officials or the chief executive himself must outline in detail the policy the government will follow in the future. During the chaotic period when the administration changed hands the people were clamoring for action, any action at all, so long as the situation was in some way relieved. The new President gave them the action they desired. At that time, however, all kinds of plans were tried out and anything that looked as though it might succeed was put into effect. There was no time for thoughtful consideration of conditions or suggested panaceas. But now is the time for a reconsideration of these projects. Business must cease to be coddled and given an opportunity to recover through its own efforts, Inefficient and weak industries must be allowed to fall by the wayside if they cannot stand with artificial supports from governmental agencies. Excessive paternalism must be supplanted by a controlled system of free competition.

At the same time that the various multitudinous projects are being scrutinized, the philosophy of government espoused by the present administration must be put squarely to the people for their approval or rejection. There must be no hedging or evasion. There is a definite trend to Fascist-like control of industry and towards control of legislation by the chief executive and his associates. The people must decide whether or not they want the changes, instituted as part of the New Deal, permanently incorporated into the scheme of government.