Maxine De Shone, Statuesque Burlesque Queen, Prefers "Tall, Dark, and Handsome" Males

Current Star in "Hazel Nuts From Brazil" Reveals Intimate Details of Her Being

Maxine de Shone, tall statuesque burlesque queen now appearing in "Hazel Nuts from Brazil" at the Park, smiled upon the reporter, and he wilted. Pirouetting upon her heel, the girl with the golden voice winked at her boy friend, and announced herself ready to tell all about her private life.

"You wish to know what my act consists of? Well, singing. . . and dancing. . . and. . . (here Miss De Shone made a mute but expressive gesture toward her shoulder straps) No, until the censors came there was no limit to my act. . . Oh, now don't misunderstand me; I think there is a limit to everything, but in this case I was my own censer.

"I have known no Harvard men. What kind of men do I like? Well," she grinned and glanced at her escort. "Aw, Cheez, give me a break," quoth he. She spoke, slowly, majestically, and devastatingly, "Tall, dark, and handsome." He quailed; sentence had fallen.

"You know, I was told that Boston people were so cold, but I have found them very responsive to my act, and VERY kind to me. My age? I decline to answer, but I will say I weigh 134 pounds. Oh, well, you can say I am 20. . . I've been in the burlesque circuits for four years now. I enjoy my work very, very much, but I did prefer my old job as a radio artist. Still, I get more audience response on the stage. (Note: This is only natural. Miss de Shone must be seen to be appreciated.)

"My favorite drink? Old Fashioneds, but three is my limit." Up and spake the boy friend, "Boy, you ought to see her when she has three!" This little statement carried a heavy weight of admiration, approbation, and approval, and was accompanied by sweeping and wayering gestures of the hand.

Questions now flew thick and fast, as the reporter endeavored to pry into the innermost details of her being. She likes swimming and golfing; she plays bridge poorly and poker not at all; she can cook pork cheps; she has orange juice. English muffins, and coffee for breakfast; she comes from California where it never vains.