Baseball Team Meets Eli Today After Rain Cancels First Game

Crimson Pitching Choice Not Announced -- Woodruff Not To Play, But Maguire to Start

Rained out of the first game of the 64th Harvard-Yale baseball series, John Harvard will go chasing the Bulldog on the Soldiers Field diamond this afternoon, with hostilities starting at 3.30 o'clock, before an expected crowd of 7000 Old Grads and undergrads.

Loughlin May Pitch

Postponing yesterday's game makes this afternoon's affair the opener of the series, and that means that Coach Smoky Joe Wood of the Elis will probably use his No. 1 moundsmen, Captain George Parker, to uphold the pitching end for Yale According to the original schedule, Coach Fred Mitchell of the Crimson was figuring to reserve his best twirler, Captain Eddie, Loughlin, for the second game. But right now the chances are that Mitch will stretch everything to win this battle before the Old Grads.

A Pitcher's Duel

In this latter case the fans will watch the unusual sight of a duel between two Grade. A pitcher-captains. Both Parker and Loughlin have seen carrying about 75 per cent of the pitching burden on their respective outfits this season and both are quite a stretch ahead of the No. 2 men, their understudies. Bernard Rankin, a Sophomore will probably be Parker's alternate.

Just who will take the other half of the series for the Crimson is a matter known only to Fred Mitchell, and you will have to be a mind reader to find out from him. Fred Allan, Drib Braggiotti, Bill Lincoln, and Jerry, Bramwell are the possibilities. Allan has the best record, Braggiotti has promise, but not, finish, Licoin has pitched a lot but not brilliantly, and Bramwell is a widely-heralded ex-schoolboy pitcher who has yet to start in a college game.

Infield Situation

That's the main problem facing Harvard's ex-Big League Coach Injuries, however, have provided more troubles. Craig Woodruff, the wise-cracking short stop, will be out of the game because of a back injury. Johny Fitzpatrick will take his place at short. The other recent causality, Cather Dick Maguire, who suffered a split finger in the Tufts game on Saturday, is expected to be on deck this afternoon. He is one of the better laddies that have squatted behind a Harvard plate and his pegs to second would be severely missed.

Harvard's Chances

All in all, Harvard stands a good chance of corning out on top today, especially if Loughlin is in the box. On the other hand, Yale's record this year shouldn't mislead anyone into thinking that the pins are set up. Six victories out of 19 starts is pretty bad, granted, while Mitchell's men have taken nine, tied one in 30 attempts. This sets up an average of 316 against 474 discounting the tie. There are two reasons this can't be counted on; the fact teams rise to unexpected heights in Harvard-Yale game and the fact that the Crimson is on occasion very erratic. But then perhaps John Harvard will be the man to do the rising, and it so 10,000 men of Harvard will have a chance to sing again