FELLOWSHIPS GRANTED OUTSTANDING SENIORS

ACKERMAN WAS FIRST SCHOLAR OF CLASS OF '34

The awards of travelling fellowships to eight outstanding scholars of the graduating class of Harvard College was announced yesterday.

Edward Augustus Ackerman '34, of Spokane, Wash, has been awarded the Henry Russell Shaw Travelling Fellowship, traditionally given to the first scholar of the Senior Class. Ackerman entered from Coeur d'Alene High School, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. He will receive the degree summa cum laude in geology. He had a straight A record throughout college. He has held the Jacob Wendell Scholarship and the Palfrey Exhibition. He was on the University Fencing Team and has taken part in debating. The fellowship will enable him to travel abroad for a year.

A supplementary grant from the Henry Russell Shaw Fund goes to John Barzillai Rackliffe '34, of Newton, Mass. He will receive the degree summa cum laude in History and Literature. He was awarded the History and Literature Prize last year. He entered Harvard from the Country Day School for Boys of Boston.

Stanton Whitney, Jr. 34, of Red Bank, N. J., has been awarded the Lionel de Jersey Studentship at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, England. The studentship, established by the Associated Harvard Clubs, gives a year of study at Cam- bridge, The scholar lives in the room which John Harvard is supposed to have occupied. Whitney prepared at Groton, He has been on the University Football Team, and the University Wresting Team; has been captain of the University Rugby Team, holder of a John Harvard Scholarship, vice-president of his Junior Class and a member of the Permanent Class Committee. His field is the history and literature of England.

The Charles H. Fiske, 3d, Scholarship, providing a year's study at Trinity Col-has been awarded to John Cotton Wal-Cott '34, of Cambridge, Mass. He prepared at St. Paul's School. He will graduate magna cum laude in English. He was literary editor of the Advocate, Class Odist, president of Signet Society, and held a Harvard College Scholarship.

Four seniors, who are graduating with highest honors, will be able to travel abroad next fall, as holders of Frederick Sheldon Prize Fellowships. They are Clement Lowell Harriss '34, of Omaha, Nob.; Gove Griffith Johnson Jr., '34, of Washington, D. C.; Robert Calhoun Creel '34, of Cambridge, Mass.; and John Arthur Martin '34, of Banger, Me.

Harriss came from Central High School, Omaha; will graduate summa cum laude in history; has been awarded the Washburn Prize, Greenleaf Scholarship, Carles Wyman Scholarship, Detur Award, and the Thomas Jefferson Coolidge Debating Medal. He was chagrin of Leverett House Committee, 1932-34.

Johnson entered from Central High School, Washington, D. C.; will receive the degree summa cum laude in Romance Languages, and has won the Detur Prize, Cambridge Scholarship, Farrar Scholarship. Daniel A. Buckley Scholarship, and the Matthew and Mary E. Bartlett Scholarship.

Martin entered from Moses Brown School, Providence, R. I., and will graduate summa cum laude in philosophy. He has hold the Price Greenleaf Scholarship, Benjamin D. Greene Scholarship, Borden Scholarship, and Hollis Scholarship