PHILLIPS TAKE CLASS THEIR TALK MUST BE TO REBUILD RECONSTRUCT

WALCOTT SPEAKS OF EDUCATION IN ODE

"It is our task to rebuild and reconstruct not blinded by crass materialism, but guided by courage, by high idealism and by a just sense of proportion," said Ass' E. Phillips, Jr. '34 of the Class Oration at Sanders Theatre yesterday morning. He went on to point out that the changes of the last four years had made a "world that does not want us, a world that is over-crowded and over-producing.

"To meet this new situation one must being the application of the intellect and the processed of intellectual rational thought. Preconceived prejudices will not solve the problem." Phillips also said that success was no longer measured by factories, farms, and railroads, but also by service is others.

The poem of Herbert M. Howe '34 stressed the hope that Harvard's sons may attempt to scale new heights and with the words "Whatever works they may praise of merit or good fame shall be to three so noble crown of bays" drew a picture of the relation of success in later life to one's college. John Cotton Walcott '34 in his Ode pictured the purpose of Harvard is education to "First spur our intellect, home of our will, firm keep they face to the sky."

Rain attempted to mar yesterday's proceeding which were attended by about 300 people. The three speakers were introduced by John H. Dean '34, First Marshal of the Senior Class. After the playing of the Baccalaureate Hymn which opened the exercises, Dean Sperry offered a prayer. Earlier in the mooring the Rev. Dwight Bradley conducted a service of the graduating class in the Memorial Church.