THE CONANT FIRST YEAR

Graduates who are returning this week to steep themselves once again in the age-old traditions of their alma mater will find that they have not left the "new deal" atmosphere behind them, for President Conant has started to give Harvard some "bold experiments" of his own. They do not necessitate control and regimentation of the undergraduate, however; they permit his individuality to blossom forth in formerly restricted paths.

This creature, whom old grads regard this week with such envy, was amazed to read one spring morning that hour examinations, midyear probation, and compulsory attendance at classes had all been thrown into discard. While these changes, may seem superficial to our older colleagues, they are significant in that they place responsibility directly on the student. In an age when older men consider jobs for the young college graduate only a myth, it is certainly wise to equip him at least with independence and initiative so that he can sail before the wind on this sea of confusion with his spinnaker set.

President Conant is struggling with two problems of great importance; the financial status of the University and the requirements of a Harvard education. He has repulsed the first by appointing John Wilbur Lowes, a man of practical experience, to a new post, that of financial Vice-President. This is a happy augury for the future. The second problem, which in spite of idealism depends directly on a balanced budget, has raised more complicated questions. The President has not before him the high purpose of making Harvard a place where any man, regardless of wealth or social position, can achieve an education. In other words, Harvard is to be a place for scholars.

To accomplish this he has started a thorough reorganization of the faculty. With this importation of new blood, he has conducted a survey of their working hours to allow them more time for research. The difficulty lies in finding the proper equilibrium between teaching and research. During the next few years, the tutorial system which is now ready to emerge form the experimental stage must stand severe testing to put it into its proper relation with course work. It would seem likely that tutorial work will soon be restricted chiefly to men of more then average ability and that there men who we really interested in investigating their fields will be allowed to do so at the expense of their course requirements. And finally on this point, since the tutorial system devolves upon the House Plan, the individuality of each House must be developed on those intangible lines of atmosphere so that the choice does not seem to rest on social merits.

Not having to take emergency steps like the Washington administration, President Conant is forming Harvard's now deal slowly and cautiously. However, when he does adopt a measure after deliberation it is with as outward suddenness that make one almost think that the days of red tape are at an end. By adopting Dean Hanford's admirable suggestions and making use of the already established talent at University Hall he has laid to rest the fears that he will run to extremes. Eliot made Harvard a fine University; Lowell developed the College; Conant has the task in coming years of coordinating an all-inclusive program which on the surface seems to be pulling in different directions and of giving to each individual factor the importance which it deserves.