CAMBRIDGE AID

Apparent discrimination against residents of Cambridge who are students in a Harvard College makes it pertinent to call attention at this time to certain salient facts concerning scholarship aid to Cambridge students. Out of a total income of ten thousand dollars (listed two years ago as fifteen thousand) from a bequest by Daniel A. Buckley to the University a number of local students are given financial aid each year but it is hardly likely from the number assisted and the amounts received than all this money is used each year.

All Freshmen entering from Cambridge public schools who are in need of financial assistance are given a scholarship or aid of four hundred dollars. An examination of the records of the past six years indicates, however, that only an average of fifteen Freshmen scholarships are given. It should be pointed out, moreover, that some Freshmen lose these at mid-years because of scholarships are given. It should be pointed out, moreover, that some Freshmen lose these at mid-years because of scholastic standing and thus some money reverts to fund. This means that at least four thousand dollars are available for scholarships for upperclassmen and graduates. In addition, the catalogue lists a Cambridge fund for the same purpose. Ostensibly the University contributes to this fund but an examination of the records would probably show that this is very meager if not nonexistent. From 1929 to 1932 as few as seven students, including both upperclassmen and graduate students, received aids and as many as nineteen. The average amount received by these students was two hundred dollars regardless of group rating and evidence of high scholarship. From these facts it is obvious that the entire annual income of the Buckley fund and the Cambridge aid was not used.

Why Cambridge students should not receive financial assistance from a fund especially endowed for this purpose in proportion to their need and scholastic attainments, as is the case with students from other localities. is a question that should be answered. It is supposedly based on the inference that students who live in the city of Cambridge do not have as heavy expenses as those coming from other places. Granted that they may be somewhat loss it does not follow that their parents are any more able to pay them than the parents of students who do not live in Cambridge are able to pay their son's expenses. Since the money is available with which to increase scholarship aid to upperclassmen it seems only just that they should be given more than two hundred dollars if they need it and if they show the same scholastic attainment as the student who comes from a distance and gets a much larger grant. If Harvard is sincerely seeking scholars if does not necessarily have to look for them in the middle west, they may be residing within a radius of a few blocks from the Yard.