SCHOLARSHIP AID THIS YEAR EQUAL TO 1933-34 TOTAL

Withdrawals Caused by Poor Record And Lack of Interest Rather Than Financial Difficulties

Scholarship awards for 1934-35 will be approximately the same as last year, according to an announcement made recently by College officials. Financial aid amounting to $266,920.55 was given to undergraduates during 1933-34 in the form of scholarships, beneficiary aids, and loans, an amount $16,066 less than in the college year 1932-33. $40,099.30 of this amount was supplied through the temporary student employment plan.

During the year 1933-34 the assistance furnished directly to undergraduates amounted to $226,821.25, classified as follows: scholarships, $169,855; beneficiary aid, $10,538.78; and loans, $46,427.47.

Excluding the earnings under the temporary student employment plan, the total amount of aid amounted to about one sixth of the amount received in tuition. Although the demand on the various aid funds in general continued to be heavy, the number of students who had to withdraw for financial reasons was no greater than in normal years.

So far as college officials are able to determine, only 17 students withdrew during the year for financial reasons, and in many cases there were other contributing factors such as a low record and lack of interest in work.