THE MARSHAL RECOUNT

While many of the facts concerning the Senior Marshal recount, which places Herman Gundlach, Jr. ahead of E. Francis Bowditch by a slight margin, are still missing, it is essential that this awkward situation be cleared up immediately.

That the recount, announced in such peculiar fashion, apparently had no authorization, which would have been easily obtainable, is unfortunate, but if this is the story which the ballots of a capably run election tell, the results must stand. The rumors of inefficiency which surround the conduct of the elections by the two Juniors, however, are of more serious moment, and if they prove to be true unprecedented action may be demanded to meet this unprecedented situation.

For the present, it is sufficient to say that the Juniors showed a deplorable lack of tact in failing to notify the Student Council of their action and in presenting it without consultation to the outside world in such an unfavorable light. Consciously or unconsciously, they have placed two leading members of the Senior Class in a position where they both must receive unpleasant criticism. One thing already stands out clearly; the election does not involve personalities or friction, only bad management.