Hanford In Annual Report Advocates Granting Fewer And Larger Scholarships

words, the College will probably not Wait for additional funds to put this principle into effect.

The Hanford report discusses in detail the two principles on which Harvard bases its scholarships: first "as an incentive to scholarly effort or as a form of academic achievement," and secondly, to provide financial assistance to needy students of high record.

To achieve the first aim, the Dean feels that awards should be granted to students of outstanding ability regardless of financial status "with the under standing that stipends will be assistance and that, if a stipend is attached, the amount should be adjusted in accordance with the student's need." Possibly, a different terminology for this type of award is desirable, he also believes.

As instances of this, he mentions the honorary scholarships which are awarded every man in Group I or II and a number of prize scholarships such as the Burr, Wendell, Bonaparte, and Whitaker awards, with adjustable stipends.

Continuing Basis of Awards

In discussing the second purpose and the need for large awards, Mr. Hanford feels that some scholarships should be awarded on a continuing basis so that a student of very high standing will possess "a certain sense of security and will be removed from the necessity of pressure and strain of always centering his attention on high grades for fear that someone else will get one more A or B and thus endanger his own chance of being awarded a scholarship in the following year."

Not only will the initial selection of the recipients assume greater importance, the Dean believes, but certain safeguards such as the for felt of the award if the student's record falls below a certain minimum or if his actions inside and outside the College show him unworthy of it.

About 20 upper-class awards and the new Freshman Prize Fellowships were granted on this basis.

In his summary, Mr. Hanford expresses the opinion that awards, in accordance with these principles will serve a most useful purpose in providing an incentive and reward for outstanding achievement and in furnishing more adequate financial assistance to deserving students of high ability.