Council Confirms Gundlach as First Marshall After Check-Up

Honesty of Elections Beyond Question, Says Statement of Body After Meeting.

Accepting responsibility for any errors committed by the Junior Election Committed, the Student Council declared Herman Gundlach, Jr. '35 First Marshall of the Class of 1935 after completing a second recount of the ballots last night.

E. Francis Bowditch '35, president of the Council, who was displaced by Gundlach in the recount, will be Second Marshal,

The Council's statement in full follows:

A) The Student Council has recounted the ballots and has found the second count of the Junior Election Committee correct; namely, Gundlach is elected First Marshal, and Bowditch Second Marshal. All other offices are filled as previously announced by the Committee.

"B) The Student Council appointed the Junior Election Committee for its integrity as well as for its ability to discharge the duties of its office efficiently. The Council still feels it was justified in doing so and wished to make it clear that there was no proceeding which was not entered into and carried through with strictest honesty.

"C) The Student Council wishes to point out that any mistakes made or errors committed by the Junior Election Committee in the routine discharge of its duty are the responsibility as much of the Council as of the Committee since the Committee is composed of members of the Council and is responsible to the Council for routine matters of office.

"D) The Student Council wishes to make it clear that the activities and publicity releases of the Junior Election Committee over and above the mere routine of holding the elections and counting the ballots was entered into and carried through by the Junior Election Committee or members thereof as unauthorized individuals."