HOUSE HOCKEY

Choosing a new football coach is admittedly exciting business and it may, perhaps, be responsible for the brainstorm which seized H.A.A. officials and caused them to refuse to build two rinks for Inter-House hockey teams. To support their action it was announced to a meeting of house captains yesterday that the H.A.A. cannot afford to spend the necessary two or three hundred men were sufficiently interested in the project to register in their respective houses for practice sessions.

In December, Adolf, W. Samborski '25, director of intra-mural athletics, published a schedule of games to run through January, February, and part of March. It was received enthusiastically by the men who have not either sufficient time or ability to participate in the Varsity games. This year, with the abolition of the Jayvee hockey squad, the number of such men is greater than ever. Now comes the disappointing order from the H.A.A. to cancel all plans for inter-House hockey. No reason was given other than financial and that one is felt to be an unconvincing excuse. For the past few years the H.A.A. has had to cut down on its athletic equipment and curtail its policy of "athletics for all." It has received the full support of a student body which realizes the vicissitudes of all athletic establishments. But when the H.A.A, refuses to spend a few hundred dollars to furnish facilities for winter sports for more than two hundred men, the limits of retrenchment have been reached and passed. A more economical proposition could not be made.

House hockey would require no equipment and no coaches. All that is necessary is about one thousand feet of lumber for sideboards, a little water, and the services of two men for one hour each evening to clear the ice and sprinkle it. It is to be hoped that those who are responsible for the decision will more intelligently reconsider the situation that the problem of selecting a new coach is definitely settled.