Lampoon, Oldest Comic in America, Forefather of Life, Invites One and All to Mt. Auburn St.

Visitors Invited to Inspect Floor, Dutch Tiled Walls, Pictures In Building

By John A. Carley

This is the sixth in a series of articles on extra-curricular activities in the college. These articles are intended as a supplement to the information received by the class of 1939 at the Phillips Brooks House reception.

Most students have already discovered that the Advocate is the carious publication of Harvard College, the CRIMSON the news publication, and the Lampoon the humorous publication. Others have come and gone from time to time, but these three are the generally recognized old-timers.

The Lampoon can't claim to be the oldest publication at Harvard; but it is the oldest comic in America. It takes pride in being the forefather of Life, and in having retained during its half-century of existence a flavor and tradition of its own. The best way to get some idea of the Lampoon background is to visit the building on Mount Auburn Street. Walk in the side door and inspect the floor, the Dutch tiled walls, the pictures and drawings, the bound volumes of old copies of Punch, Life, and the Lampoon. Members of the board are glad to show visitors around and to answer questions.

For anyone who is wondering whether or not to enter a competition, the thing to do is to try it. Informal meetings of literary, art, and business candidates are held every Monday. Wednesday, and Friday evening at 7.30. New candidates are welcome to drop in at one of these meetings, any time during the year, to find out about the kind of work that interests them. There is no danger of getting in for a long grind of errand-running and desk-sitting that takes every spare moment. Each man sets his own pace and does work of his own choosing. Members of the board help all they can.

Don't wait: till some night when you hear music, laughter, and furniture coming out the windows of the building before you start to wonder what the Lampoon is all about. Come in some evening and see for yourself.