Cercle Francais, Established by Class of 1874, Unites Those Students Interested in France

Plays, Dinners, Guest Speakers, and Discussions Feature Activity of Year

By C. DOCOSTER Jr.

The Cercle Francis, which was first founded by the Class of '74, is about to inaugurate a new scanon. Its purpose is to unite those students of the University who are interested in the French language and culture. This year there will be fortnightly dinners with guest speakers once a month, who will lead after dinner discussions. It has been the custom in the past of the Cerclo Francais to present a French play, either classical or modern, every year. The first play was presented in 1988 and since then plays have been given almost every year, including the great master places of Moliore, Corneille, Racine, Begumarchata, and Hestand. Last fall "L'Amore McDocin" by Moliere was most successfully produced by members of the circle, and in their intention for present another play in December. Robert A. Turner '37, and Howard R. Patch '33 are in charge of a committee to select a play, and as soon as it is chosen the casting is expected to commence. Mr. Monroo Stearns, who has managed other Cercle plays in the pant, has been selected as director.

The first meeting of the year is to be held tomorrow, Tuesday, October fifteenth. There will first to be a preliminary discussion in which the officers will outline plans for the year. The guest of honor of the evening will be Professor Baldensperger formerly professor of Modern Comparative Literature at the University of Paris, and founder and coeditor of the Revue de Literature Compare. Previously he was visiting professor at Harvard in 1913-14 and recently he accepted a post as professor of Comparative Literature here for five years. All members of the University who are interested are invited to attend the first meeting, which will be held in the Kirkland House Senior Common Room at 7.15 o'clock, Tuesday evening.