JULIAN BACH ELECTED PRESIDENT OF ADVOCATE

AMERICANISM CENTRAL THEME OF NOVEMBER ISSUE

Five new Advocate officers were elected yesterday afternoon. Julian S. Bach '36 is President; Whitney G. Case '36, Pegasus; Henry V. Poor '36, Secretary; John L. Angel '36, Treasurer; and Gordon F. Robertson '36, Business Manager.

Concentrating on a theme of Americanism, the next issue of the Advocate will appear during the second week of November. This theme is to be treated without sentimentalism or ballyhoo, but merely to examine various points of view on nationalism.

One phase of this question is discussed by John E. Dodge '38 in an article entitled "Autonomy of Art", in which he deplores the unfortunate tendency on the part of critics to boom all American art, regardless of its merit. A full page drawing by Alfonso Ossorio '38 symbolizes a medley of opinions.

During the past few weeks, editors of the Advocate have been circulating a questionnaire among local merchants in an effort to discover their true opinion of Harvard students. Among other queries were: "Do you believe Harvard men study or play more?" and "Do you think Harvard should be taxed?" Data compilede from this questionnaire will be written up for this issue.