Brickley Starred in 1913 Yale Game, Kicking Five Goals from Field for Total of 15 Points

36 To 0 Score in 1914 Against Eli Against Bugbear of Hinkey Lateral Passing

This is the seventh of a series of articles about Harvard football written by James L. Knox '98, coach of the Jayvee team from the Haughton to the Harlow regime.

Bob Fisher who succeeded Percy Haughton as head coach, was captain of the team in 1911, the year in which Princeton beat Dartmouth by a drop kick which bounded along the ground, hit a bump and bounced over the cross bar. This contingency is no longer a point to worry players, since it has been ruled out.

In the 1913 game against Yale, Brickley kicked five goals from the field for 15 points, which is some record. The bubbear of the Hinkey lateral passing attack, with Lagore and Wilson as great threats caused a lot of midnight oil to be burned by the Harvard coaches in 1914. But by dint of scouting and devising a trick defense which worked well in its experimental phase against Princeton, Haughton surmounted that obstacle by a 36-0 score against the Elis.

The next year this score was duplicated at the inauguration of the Yale Bowl, just as Dartmouth had done at the inaugural game at our Stadium in 1903. In 1915 the great Ned Mahan led his team to a 41-0 victory over Yale. It was he who first taught the world the intricacies of the now well known Statue of Liberty play.