HARVARD MALIGNED

THE PRESS

Relief Administrator Harry L. Hopkins joined the ranks of the petty when he charged Harvard university with "snobbery" because it declined student aid funds from the National Youth administration.

As Harvard officials explained, students there are well cared for financially, including those who attend on scholarships. The $15 monthly allotted each worker by the N. Y. A. was thought insufficient to warrant its use for the relatively few cases in which that university is providing employment.

Wellesley and smith, woman's colleges, also institutions of the rich, declined relief funds as did Harvard. These were the only refusals in the country, there being more than 1,000 college and universities now spending $80,000 a month of N. Y. A. funds.

For hard-pressed students who might otherwise be forced to leave school, the allocation of relief funds has been a tremendous aid. when certain financially able institutions decline public money because they do not need it, however, it is unfair to accuse them of snobbery. In Harvard's case, it was an attempt to cooperate.

Harry Hopkin's attack has besmirched a venerable and fine university--America's number one institution of higher learning. --Daily Trojan, Nov. 14, 1935.