MOLMES WILL DIRECT PIERIAN CONCERT WITH WELLESLEY MADRIGALS

COLLECTION OBTAINED FROM THE BRITISH MUSEUM

Joining with the Wellesley College Orchestra and the Wellesley Madrigal Group the brass section of the Pierian Sodality will give a concert under the direction of Malcolm II. Holmes '28 on Wednesday evening, December 4.

The program will consist of Mr. Holmes' arrangements f the rare sixteenth and seventeenth century manuscripts, which he brought back from Europe two summers ago. Most of these manuscripts were obtained form the British Museum and the collection of the King, but the "Tower Music" for brass instruments was unearthed by Mr. Holmes in the libraries of Mains, Munich, and Frankfort. The remaining compositions call for eight singers, strings, wood-winds, and organ.

The manuscripts will be divided between Widener and the Wellesley College Library, where they may be consulted by students. They have never been performed in this country, but are of special interest to students, as representing a definite stage in the development of music between the latter fifteenth century and the time of Scarlatti in 1725.

The concert will be given in Billings Hall, Wellesley, on December 4, at 8.15 o'clock. The program is as follows:

John Dowland: Suite for divers Instruments

Giovanni Gabrieli: Canzoni

Pierluigi Palestrina: Ricercare

Henry Purcell: Andante in F-sharp Major

Dance Suite

Manuscript Instrumental Piece dated 1494

Turmsonate (Augsburg 1540)

Turnmcorale (Mainz 1513)

Voices Unaccompanied:

Canon, "Hey Ho to the Green Wood"

Round, "Old Bridge's Epitaph."