Princetonian Endorses Tercentenary Scholarship Fund Proposed By Conant

Editorial Praises Harvard's Plea For Privately Endowed Universities

Princeton, N. J., November 25--Emphatically approving President Conant's now scholarships, the Daily Princetonian will say editorially tomorrow Harvard "rightly has confidence" in the future of the privately-endowed university's special position.

Extracts from tomorrow's editorial follows:

"In his announcement of the plans to establish a Tercentenary Fund at Harvard for the endowment of annual Prize Scholarships in every state of the union and of research professorships of a new sort, President James Bryant Conant has once more made manifest his determination to make Harvard even more than in its past of fine tradition an institution of value and usefulness to the nation 'for generations to come'.

"Harvard rightly has confidence in the importance to the future of the privately endowed university as distinguished from the one supported by taxes and state funds. Tiffs with meddling university-minded politicians consitute one great danger that can be avoided.

"Sectionalism, according to the Harvard head, is another. A few 'truly national institutions of higher learning' must be maintained.

"The most striking aspect of the new scholarship arrangement is the apparent readiness of the Harvard officials to grant awards as they should be granted--as prizes for proven ability regardless of wealth or poverty. The new 'roving professorships', as President Conant calls them, are based upon a conviction that the advancement of knowledge depends largely on bridging the traditional gaps between subjects and departments.

"The presence at Harvard of truly brilliant men can lend intellectual vigor to all these who come into contact with them. No more now than ever does Harvard or any other University, we hope, have lasting use for the dried as dust pedant who can get along amiably enough with books but not at all with people or life in the world outside."