CONANT WARNS AGAINST TOO BROAD CURRICULA

ADDRESSES GATHERING AT BRYN MAWR FETE

Scoring college curricular designed to give "a general survey of knowledge which will provide an understanding of the world in which we live," President Conant took part in the ceremonies commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of Bryn Mawr College Saturday.

Since he addressed the Freshmen, this is the first public occasion at which the President has spoken this fall.

A college education must provide a man "with a sure foundation on which he can build," said Mr. Conant. "He must be certain that in those precious years he does not fail to acquire the mastery of subjects he will need later on.

"Without forcing him into particular ways, we must offer our student the opportunity to become excellent in any art, science, or language and, in this process of becoming excellent, he will necessarily concentrate in one area of the academic field."

He pointed out that privately endowed institutions should break down "sectionalism, the bane of any country" by admitting students from all parts of the country. As a necessary corollary he reiterated his belief once again that colleges should award "a considerable number of scholarships with large stipends" to "the boy or girl with great ability but no money."