DEBATERS DEAN, NEXON IN IMPERIALISM ATTACK

Harvard in Affirmative as Debating Council Begins Schedule Against Canadians Here

A debate with two Canadians opened the season for the Harvard Debating Council last night when they discussed the question, "Resolved, That so-called advanced nations should leave so-called backward nations to work out their own political and economic salvation."

The affirmative was upheld by W. Tucker Dean '37 and Hubert H. Nexon '37 while the negative was taken by J. Ernest Richardson of Dalhousie University and William B. Morrisey of New Brunswick University.

Richardson, speaking in behalf of the right of imperialism, declared that the United States should not exist. For "if the affirmative follow out their arguments to a logical end, they would hand over our government to the few remaining Indians."

Both Richardson and Morrisey admitted that the methods of imperialists have been indefensible in the past, but that a new era of peaceful penetration is at hand. The affirmative argued that imperialism is indefensible from moral, social, economic, and political viewpoints.