THE PAUSE THAT REFRESHES

It would have been more timely had the announcement of the extended Christmas vacation come just a week ago today, but at any rate it is something for which all Harvard men can rightfully be thankful. Having for years tried to put across a price of editorial horse-trading with University Hall, in which the present one day recesses might be turned in for an extra week during the Joyous Season, the Crimson is astonished to see that one can eat his cake and have, it, since the latest announcement makes no mention of the suspension of such idyllic interludes as Columbus Day or Washington's Birthday.

Only second to the hangover on New Year's morning has been the journey back to Cambridge following like the Canadian Mounted close on the heels of the mid-winter orgy. While students of Yale and Wellesley began the second lap of their vacation on New Year's Day, lolling ostentatiously in their privileged security, Harvard men foamed at the mouth and decided that the French Revolution would have to be fought all over again. We may have been rich, but they were idle, and the two not being together was like Abercrombie with out Fitch.

Overjoyed Harvard students are in the position of Adam and Eve when the bank foreclosed on Eden, because, even if the two-week vacation is rain from heaven, it seems to be given for this year only. But, being accustomed to such a paradise of leisure, Harvard men will not permit it to be taken away again. The University has taken a step in the right direction; its next must be to make a generous Christmas vacation a permanent part of the schedule.