Harvard Communist Boldly Refuses to Prostitute Truth for Advertisements, Mere Pecuniary Gain

Comrade Lenin Makes Glamorous Literary Debut in Harvard's Own Magazine

The following review of the Young Communist was written for the Crimson by Michael Mullins.

As the second issue of the "Harvard Communist" reaches the newsstands, resplendently clad in a cover of baby blue, that most capitalistic of colors, a pure red light is focused upon Harvard's reactionary institutions much as the red spot is shone in the Howard Athenaeum.

Starting off with a lucid explanation of why the editors choose to remain anonymous, the sensational publication soon dips into discussions of events of world-shaking importance. The first feature article, signed by that world-renowned authority Max, deals witheringly with the Literary Digest Peace Poll. As we turn the pages, the next story for little ones is signed, not as one would expect, by Leon or Butch, but by that prince of good follows, John, Both of these stories are of the most penetrating acumen (adv.).

Following close on John's dissertation on Harvard's step-children comes an article by a Mr. Lenin on Professor Sorokin which is mildly incomprehensible, but nevertheless educational. "Book Notes" is the next prominent feature of our distinguished contemporary, where in appear earnest works by Maxim Gorky and by Earl Browder.

Finally we find a "Correspondence" column where an anonymous "Student Correspondent" airs his woes. Unfortunately grammar gets the better of the writer, and in the second paragraph, after eleven lines of wandering, he is forced to conclude what has not yet developed into a sentence by a despairing "etc."

Correspondents are encouraged to enter this forum by the promise that the Harvard Communist "is little influenced by advertisers." Intensive research indicated, at a late hour last night, that what at first sight seemed a rather superfluous statement was in fact, not out of place--there is a half-inch ad on page three.