The first floor of Dudley Hall will be the new commuter social center, University Hall announced last night. Coincident with this news which ends for a time at least the dispute that has disturbed officialdom for four months, came the report that a group of graduates has volunteered to administer the new home of the commuters.
Chairman of the so-called Committee on the Harvard College Non-resident Student Center is Allston Burr '89, of Boston. The other members are Joseph R. Hamlen '04, president of the Alumni Bulletin, R. Ammi Cutter '22, and Walter A. Smith, the representative of the University's architects.
Dudley Hall, formerly known as Dunster Hall until the erection of Dunster House, is a five-story building on Dunster Street, near Massachusetts Avenue. It was built in 1897, and was purchased by the University in 1918 at the death of the original owner.
Until last year it was used as a Freshman Dormitory, but since the occupancy of the class of 1936, it has been closed. It contains 33 suites, with a capacity of 53 occupants, but for the present only the ground floor will be opened to the commuters.
This affords a temporary habitat for the day scholars, who were recently forbidden the future use of Phillips Brooks House, in which they have swarmed for many years. Whether the accomodations will be made permanent, and whether the whole of Dudley Hall will eventually be given over to non-residents, has not been decided.