"SOCIAL ENGINEERING IS NECESSARY" -- NEARING

Accuses Ruling Class of Not Wishing To Overcome Crises and Advocates Support of Labor

"Social engineering must replace mechanical engineering in the next 30 years," predicted Scott Nearing, speaking before a gathering of the Liberal Club yesterday. "As in the last 20 years the emphasis has been placed on mechanical engineering, in the next 30 we must turn to social engineering.

"With the exception of the Aztecs and the Incas there has never been a co-ordinated society." Assuming, however, that it is technically possible to provide abundance for everyone, he predicted that a scientifically planned society is possible.

"Today the ruling class does not wish to overcome crises. They are trying to retain power, which is in direct conflict with the advancement of the people. Economy is becoming retrogressive rather than progressive. Today the tendency is from international economy to national or even local." He cited as an example the government works policy which employs an over-abundance of men rather than machine power.

"Since this is true no one can dare to support the ruling class or any modification of the profit system. If you wish to be effective, ally yourselves entirely with the working class."