"BOSTON BROWNIE" BATHES IN CHARLES FOR RED CROSS SAKE

Nattily dressed in a fashionable three button sack suit, a gentleman was seen yesterday morning to traverse the thawing snow between Charles River Parkway and the river near Weld boathouse.

Then, after arranging his pocket 'kerchief, he strode boldly forward, progressing a few yards before the ice gave way. With the nonchalance of a cigarette model, the hero rolled out upon the thin ice and dragged himself to safety, effecting a rather neat self-rescue. On emerging from his polar bath, he remained ashore just long enough to tell the crowd which had gathered that he was a member of the Boston Brownies, the Bay State division of the cult of polar bathers.

He then about-faced and once more set out for mid-stream. Once more the ice broke. This time, several hitherto unnoticed men appeared with a ladder and skidded it out to him. A second rescue was under way, while the gentlemen of the ladder jotted down, sentences in a notebook regarding its progress. This procedure, it was discovered, was one of a series of experiments put on by the Red Cross to gather data for a treatise on ice.