The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

CRIMSON PLAYGOER

"Ruggles of Red Gap," Featuring an all Star Cast, Offers an Unusual Show of Talent

By J. H. H.

The present Theatre Guild presentation at the Colonial is the best modern play seen in Boston for some time. "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and "Tomorrow" was one of the last season's favorites in New York and it has lost none of its charm on its way to Boston. Although it is more serious than most of Philip Barry's plays, the delicacy of presentation so typical of his work, is never submerged. In fact this very seriousness acts as a foil to the witticisms of John El dredge, who puts on a most delightful performance in his minor part. The characters in this eternal triangle, are played by Zeta Johann, Glenn Andres, and Harvey Stephens, all of whom render excellent interpretations, although Miss Johann stands out particularly. Her surprising mobility of expression combined with a good voice make her a most convincing actress.

But it isn't the cast alone that make the Theater Guild performances so pleasant for their audiences usually create an agreeable atmosphere. Boston audiences are not usually recipients of compliments, but through the agency of the subscription seats the Theatre Guild has succeed in making itself an exception. Almost any halfway decent play presented by them would be an enjoyable evening's entertainment if seen on one of the first nights. Perhaps this is why Philip Barry's present play seems so very good without having any one very outstanding quality which a reviewer could discuss with superlatives.

One leaves the performances with a pleasant impression of University fine acting, enhanced by a general atmosphere of congeniality. The more technical work of casting and directing is in keeping with the dramatic standards of then Theatre Guild.