PRIZE SCHOLARS TO GAIN TWO NEW RECRUITS IN FALL

Six Other Mid-Western States to Send Ten Scholarship Winners Again--To Develop Policy for Feature

Two new prize scholars, one from Iowa and the other from the bluegrass of Kentucky, will arrive in Cambridge next September with the Class of 1939, it was announced yesterday.

This will make an even dozen of the Freshmen Fellows, instituted last year by President Conant as an experiment, since the first six mid-western states will again send ten representatives.

The Iowa scholarship, which was made possible by combining several grants awarded by the Charles Elliott Perkins Scholarship Fund, will be awarded on alternate years. The Kentucky award which comes from the Jessie Preston Draper Memorial Fund, however, will be given annually.

This policy of combining smaller grants into a larger one is finding great favor in University Hall. The aim is to bring to Harvard men who are unable otherwise to obtain a college education. The grants run as high as $1,200.

The amount of the Prize Fellowships depends entirely on the recipient's ability to pay. Awarded as prizes for scholarships, they run from $200 to $1,000. If a recipient maintains an honor record in college, his scholarship is renewed throughout the undergraduate years.

President Conant eventually plans to make the grants cover every state in the Union in line with his intention to make Harvard a national university. After examining the records of the 1938 scholars at midyears, he pronounced the plan a success thus far.