Anthropology Department Photographs Eyes in Color---Will Snap You or Your Girl on Demand

Camera Records Pigmentation of Eyes and Hair for Purposes of Experimentation

By the use of color photography, an attempt is being made in the Anthropology Department to solve one of the many problems confronting the physical anthropologist, the problem of measuring eye pigmentation and pattern. The experiments are being carried on by Edward Hertzberg under a grant from the Milton Fund.

In the search for accurate information concerning man's physical makeup, anthropologists have been able to make actual measurements of many features, such as stature, head length, facial width, and the like. Many other characteristics of the individual, however, cannot yet be accurately determined. The shape and slope of the forehead, hair color, the color and pattern of the eye fall into this category.

Now Methods Needed

At present, anthropologists simply judge as closely as possible the color of the hair and eyes. These relatively crude judgements must serve to classify all features that cannot be measured by calipers and tape. Due to the personal element involved, very few observers are willing to agree on all points of judgement. Constant efforts are being made to develop new methods of measurement, to eliminate the "personal equation."

Three Stops

In this consideration, there are three general steps to be taken, and two of them are still untouched. First, a satisfactory method of recording must be developed, preferably one which will be practicable in the field. Secondly, there must be found a way of measuring and expressing the actual color values of the plates. This problem is still unsolved.

When these things have been accomplished, then a third step may be taken, an attempt to find out the mechanics of heredity involved in the transmission of eye characteristics. But even the first of these steps is in an experimental form.

Early Attempts

Successful attempts to photograph the eye in color were made in 1927-28 by Dr. Lawrence Redway of New York. The machine in use at the present time was built by Carl Zeiss in Germany on Dr. Redway's design. A special camera that takes a 4 1/2s6cm. Alga color plate stands on a vertical arm. It is franked by two light sources and in front of it is a chin rest for the subject. The lens is an F: 4.5. The two main modifications that have been made from the original plans are the substitution of incandescent light for are light and the increase in the magnification of the image from 1:1 to 1:1.5.