FLOATING CASH

With all this federal money floating around, it seems a shame that the city and national authorities haven't as yet got together to formulate a plan to make Harvard Square safe for pedestrians. President Roosevelt might well give the matter his personal consideration, for was it not purely fortuitous that he escaped a premature death in his college days and was enabled to give the nation the happy philosophy of spending its way out of the depression.

It would be a simple matter to build some elevated crossings over the maze of intersections known as Harvard Square, with a few chutes to the subway station as finishing touches. Not only would it provide work for the unemployed, but best of all the worry-wrinkles on the foreheads of our politicians would subside when they found a new way to spend some thousands of dollars. Lest some be inclined to scoff at this proposal, the new historic example of the use of P. W. A. funds in a mid-western city is cited. With much labor and expense a marsh was drained. Immediately the suburbanites cried out that the scenery was spoiled, so the work was carefully and completely undone.

A small number of pedestrians who are naturally adventurous may enjoy lurking behind oblong buses, preparatory to making a blind rush across the street. A few with truly pivotal necks may feel at ease when cars whisk by from all directions. It may even be asserted that Harvard Square training will make this college preeminent in the hundred-yard dash. But the great majority would be content to cross streets without risk to life and limb, and keep before them that great American possibility of becoming president.