Tigers Protest Decision Giving Harvard Team Baseball Game

Similar Play in Earlier Part of Game Allowed Three Harvard Runners to Score

Tainted by Princeton's formal protest of the umpires' decision on a ground rule, the Varsity gained a 6-4 victory over the Tigers Saturday at Soldiers Field. This action, unprecedented in the history of the Eastern intercollegiate Baseball League, was occasioned by the officials' ruling that Adzigian's wild throw in the eighth had gone into the crowd, and that the two Princeton men who had scored were allowed only two bases.

Princeton's protest was apparently based on the sixth inning decision that catcher Reichel's wild attempt to catch Dick Maguire off first allowed the three Crimson runners to score, while the verdiot was rendered after Coach Fred Mitchell's definition of the ground rule to the officials, and the Tigers' two runs from the overthrow were disallowed. Princeton played the balance of the game under protest. The league officials will return their report within ten days, after the protest and Harvard's plea have been filed.

The big sixth inning was started when Bilodeau doubled to left field, and scored on Owen's single to right. The bases were filled when Woodruff walked and Maguire singled, to score when Reichel's throw to first went out into right field.

Bill Lincoln, who pitched the Crimson into its first win at Princeton a week ago, was credited with Saturday's victory although he was relieved by Bilodeau in the sixth inning.

Driving in five of Harvard's seven runs, Roberts hit a double and a triple to star in the Freshmen's 7-3 victory over the Brown yearlings at Providence. Welch was the outstanding slugger for the Bruins, banging out a double and two singles.

The Jayvees were limited to six hits by the effective mound work of Frank Shea of Worcester Academy, to lose 9-5 on Soldiers Field. Tittman and Louis Carr garnered doubles, while McTernen scored the only three-bagger of the afternoon.

The Varsity summary:

HARVARD  ab  bh  po  aProuty, 1f. 2b.  5  2  1  1Adzigian, 3b.  4  1  1  1Gibbs, cf.  3  0  3  0Bilodeau, 1b. p.  2  1  4  1Owen, rf.  3  1  3  0Woodruff, ss. 1b.  3  0  3  6Maguire, c.  4  2  7  1Hayes, 1b.  2  0  4  0Fitzpatrick, ss.  2  0  0  0Lincoln, p.  2  0  0  1Fletcher, lf.  1  1  1  0PRINCETON  ab  bh  po  aNevitt, rf.  3  0  2  0Levan, cf.  4  0  2  0Chubet, ss.  5  2  2  2Sandbach, 2b.  3  1  1  2French, 3b.  3  1  0  0Myers, 1b.  3  0  8  0Hill  3  0  2  0Spencer, lf.  1  0  0  0Reichel, c.  4  2  7  1Bell, p.  3  0  0  3Lauritzan, p.  1  0  0