The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Distribution Requirement Liberalized; Change Applies to the Class of 1939

Courses Chosen May Not Include German A, C, D, French A or Prescribed English

Distribution will pass from the Harvard scene beginning with the Class of 1939, according to a vote of the Faculty which was announced yesterday. Recognizing a policy of self-education by the student, the new rule will make no requirements on his curriculum except that he can take no more than eleven courses in any one field.

Encourage Breadth of Outlook

There is a general agreement on the Faculty, however, that "The purpose of distribution is to encourage breadth of outlook and an acquaintance with certain subjects of fundamental value not represented in the field of concentration." It is understood that a special detailed statement will be officially issued later telling of the advantages of distribution.

In modifying the general rule, it has been decided to retain the present decree that German A, C, D, French A, or prescribed English, and not more than one course in Military or Naval Science may be counted as distribution.

It is believed that the new system will eliminate the problem of duplication of work done in preparatory school which has been covered again in college merely because of the requirements.