The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

The Crimson Playgoer

"La Dame Aux Camelias" is Excellent Picture, Starring Yvonne Printemps

By W. L. W.

"The Yellow Jacket" is undoubtedly quite different from the usual run of plays to be seen today. Whether this is an advantage or a disadvantage is a matter of opinion. The difference lies in the fact that the play is intentionally unrealistic in the extreme. The scene of the action is the stage of a Chinese theatre. The Property Man (Arthur Shaw) sits off to one side drinking tea and smoking a cigarette. Every so often he gets up with a bored look, to tend to his duties. He throws down a red cushion to signify a gory head, tosses pieces of paper around to depict a snowstorm, etc. The sheer artificiality of this conventional, pseudo-Chinese method of representation is at first somewhat startling, then vaguely amusing, but finally becomes pretty bore-some. However, the completely disinterested attitude of the Property Man, who never says a word during the entire performance, does furnish a certain amount of entertainment.

Charles Coburn, as the Chorus, gives a good, but by no means brilliant performance in a rather colourless part. Mrs. Coburn also does well as Chee Moo, the first wife of Wu Sin Yin the Great. But the whole business is a definitely pedestrian affair. The only really attractive character is Tso (Mary Hutchinson). As the scheming maid she is intriguing.