Opening Ceremonies of Tercentenary Celebration Will Begin in November

Summer School Will Commence Formal Observance Ending on September 18, 1936

Although news of the Tercentenary celebration of Harvard College will be constantly before the members of the University during the next year, the actual celebration will not begin until the summer of 1936 with the opening of the Summer School, and will conclude on September 18, 1936.

As a kind of preparation for the coming events, the Glee Club will give a concert in Sanders Theatre on November 8 and Samuel E. Morison '08, professor of History will speak on Harvard history. The concert will be open to students only. November 8 of this year will make the 299th anniversary of the day on which the General Court adopted the resolution to found a college in Newtowne and is also accepted as the birthday of John Harvard which is unknown although it has been recorded that he was baptized on November 29.

November 8 Proper Date

November 8 is the logical date to hold the Tercentenary celebration but it falls upon a Sunday two days before a Presidential election that is certain to make all other activity practically impossible. And so it was decided to end the celebration on September 18 as the day on which the General Court which made the grant convened.

Invitations to participate in the program have been accepted by over 60 of the outstanding scholars in the world. These men will take part in a Tercentenary Conference of Arts and Sciences which will be held from August 31 to September 12 to deliver lectures, read papers, and participate in discussions in the principal fields of learning.

The Summer School session from July 5 to August 15 will be featured by having an unusually prominent faculty and special lecture and musical programs. Several of the learned societies will hold meetings in Cambridge during the interval before the Conference. During the greater part of the summer, the grounds, museums, libraries, buildings, and a large number of special collections illustrating various facilities of the University and events in its history will be open to the public.

On September 8 there will be a meeting of the officers of the Alumni which was adjourned on motion of Josiah Quincy at the bicentennial meeting on September 8, 1836. At that time a box, sealed at that meeting with the contents unrecorded, will be opened. The meeting will then adjourn until September 18 when the entire body of Alumni will convene.

The concluding days of September 16, 17, and 18 are the most important of the whole series. There will be receptions and dinners for the delegates from other universities and colleges and learned societies on the first day while the Alumni will monopolize the most of the second day with reunions and a meeting of the Associated Harvard Clubs. In the evening the undergraduates will hold a celebration but it has been left to this coming year when three classes who will still be in college are in Cambridge to decide what form that celebration will take.

On the third day honorary degrees will be conferred by the President and the Association of Alumni of Harvard College will hold a luncheon and meeting.

The concluding ceremonies are expected to have an attendance of about 15,000 persons, most of whom will be Alumni. A theatre will be constructed in the quadrangle between the Memorial Church, University Hall, Widener Library, and Sever Hall with the platform, to seat 700 persons, as an extension of the south portico of the Church.

Notes from the CRIMSONS of November 5-10, 1886 at the time of the 250th anniversary of the founding of the College.

A good Military Horse can be procured for the parade by applying to the boy at the Co-operative store.

Louis D. Brandeis of Boston was elected secretary of the Law School Association.