AN AUSPICIOUS MEETING

Last night in the Union a new class had its first contact with the man whose vigor has wrought many changes in the college within two short years, President Conant. The subject of his speech "independent thinking" is one which has seen frequent treatment at Harvard but the sincerity and earnestness which underlay his remarks disclose with clarity the manner of man that occupied the President's office.

"Have the courage of your own convictions but be sure they are your own convictions arrived at patiently by hard thinking." While the President was directing his thoughts to the incoming class, he did it effectively as he has always followed his own advice. His theory of education, his share in such measures as the new athletic endowment policy, his rejection of the Hansfstacngl scholarship a year ago because it was offered by a man high in the councils of government which has undermined the theory of a liberal education are the results of just such thinking.

Many people may object to some conclusion reached by this method but they will never doubt its honesty and none will find fault with the Harvard tradition as outlined last night by Mr. Conant. With such a foundation, construction cannot go far wrong. Surely, it was an auspicious meeting.