FRESHMAN WAITERS

For years now Freshman Student Waiters have been petitioning to be excused from the required exercize period. Three meals a day in the Union, walking mile on mile, carrying heavy trays, even standing for long periods of time, has seemed enough exercize. Moreover, the time taken away from other important occupations, such as studying, seemed more than a fair proportion. Now at last these just cries are heard and answered sympathetically.

The University should make as many concessions as possible, without compromising the full benefits of a Harvard education, to those students who have to work their financial way through. A minor and relatively unimportant concession such as this, from the point of view of the officers of the University, and yet one which offers greatest relief to the individuals concerned, is the least that can be done.

Student waiters, of course, should not be given preference in this exemption over those who work their way in other capacities, whether within the University's domain or outside it altogether. The Hygiene Department must decide all such cases for exemption on their own merits within flexible rules. In the case of the Student Waiters' petition, an intelligent beginning is being made.